INSIDE: Use fun Christmas fat quarters fabric to make an easy DIY Christmas pillow cover for modern holiday home decor.
Every year, when I haul out those holiday decor boxes, it’s literally like Christmas morning. It’s as though I pack away all things red, green and white when the holidays are over and then completely forget all about those Christmas decorations I have …that or I’m just quickly approaching the age of forgetfulness!
As I pull out those paper-wrapped goodies that survived another year crammed in a bin in the garage, the one thing I didn’t have in these too many holiday boxes were any Christmas pillow covers for the couch.
Here’s how I quickly sewed up a DIY Christmas pillow covers using miscellaneous fabric remnants for a touch of colorfully modern Christmas decorating…
How to Make a Modern DIY Christmas Pillow Cover
There are many ideas for making Christmas pillow covers out there. But the best thing about this DIY Christmas pillow is that you can select the holiday colors you enjoy best or those that coordinate with your home decor.
– Fabric in holiday colors and patterns
– Sewing machine ( Here’s a great starter machine if learning to sew is a New Year’s resolution!)
– Sewing scissors + measuring tape
– Straight pins (How cute are these pins?)
– Pillow insert (many sizes to fit your needs here)
How to Make a Multiple Fabrics for DIY Christmas Pillow
Since I was using up fabric scraps, I pieced together two pieces of fabric to create a piece to fit a 19×19″ pillow insert. I pinned these two pieces together and sewed them.
I used a third contrasting strip of fabric to create a simple ruffle to cover the seam from Step #1.
I pinned it on and sewed a simple seam down its center.
With the front of the pillow complete, time to create the backside using the envelope pillow technique.
See how I did so in this tutorial. This is my favorite way to sew pillow covers!
Fluff up for instant holiday decor and a fun pop of color. In less than an hour, you can create your own DIY Christmas pillow cover!
How do you decorate for the holidays?
Here’s a second coordinating pillow I made for a very fun and colorful holiday living room!
How do you get your crew into the holiday crafting spirit? Let me know in the comments.
Other Christmas Ideas You May Like:
- DIY felt cactus tree ornaments
- Ugly Christmas sweater turned (cozy and comfy) skirt
- 5-minute Dollar Store Christmas cookie plate
- Thrift store puzzle pieces turned holiday door wreath
- Snowman hair pin for girls
- $2 Christmas poinsettia wreath from plastic tablecloths